Sharing Senegal

Friday, December 01, 2006

Pinch Punch, First of the Month!

That's to get you back, Mike!

Well hello there everyone. Please forgive the recent dearth of blog productivity on my part. I have been busy working on the final portion of my academic semester here, the Independent Study Project (ISP). A few days ago, I returned from a week-long trip into the interior of the country, to a village called Fimela. Well, and to the city of Fatick. And to eight other villages in the immediate area benifitting from the presence of the NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) I have been working with in research, World Vision. What I was doing in those villages was examining the impact of child sponsorship, a particular form of international aid. I imagine many of you have seen the big-eyed faces of foreign children in photographs tacked to refrigerators by their proud, state-side sponsors. I know for a fact that some of you see them in your very own kitchens, a reminder every time you reach for the milk of a life across the world, linked with yours by a monthly check. What do these big eyes see as a result of their sponsored status? That's what I was going to find out.

Well, they didn't have any refrigerators in the villages I visited, but I saw more than one picture of smiling sponsors presented to me by World Vision children. That is not to say the responses were all the same when I asked these children about their sponsors, the term translated as "toubab friend" by my WV-employed interpreter. Some didn't know the name or country behind the letters delivered on occasion, but others readily produced pictures or little gifts they got from their xarit toubab. What is certain is, even if the individual relationship between sponsor and child was weak, the presence of World Vision in developmental and collaborative projects in their communities was strong and visible. And, in my novice opinion, they're doing a pretty good job.

The task that lies before me now is to figure out how to explain all of that to twenty to thirty pages of paper, waiting in the printer of an internet cafe somewhere, for me to come decorate their blank surfaces with all of my ideas.

More to come, once at least some of those pages are properly clothed.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger Mike Demmon said...

I did forget to say "no return"; you got me!

I love you and am with you in spirit with the task of "clothing" tens of pages with ideas over the coming 2 weeks.

See you soon my love!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger me said...

I know that you are coming into the homestretch of all your work and you must be exhausted, so just know that I am sending you very energized positive vibes... gosh i hope they make it through customs. miss you BSF ~Jen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home