Sharing Senegal

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Last...

The last day of Ramadan is nearing its end! Tomorrow the entire country (well, the 95% majority of Muslims here... and me... ) will be celebrating Korite, or Eids. That is the feast that marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan in the Muslim faith. During the month, faithful Muslims are called to fast from several things, most notably food and drink, during the daylight hours. The purpose of the fast is, in part, to better understand what life is always like for those who have nothing to eat or drink. I, for reasons of cultural solidarity and personal challenge, have been fasting as well. The days have been long, and my concentration, energy levels and overall friendliness were sometimes sacrificed, but I am glad I did it. I'm also glad it's over.

While it will be refreshing for the blanket of crankiness to be lifted from the countenences of the public, I will be missing one part of the past month. At sundown, which has been just before 7:00 PM lately, there is a small meal called "ndogou" in Wolof. It is my favorite part of Ramadan. Dates, baguettes and grabbing hands abound around the table, while I sit back and pour my Kenkaliba tea. The tea (which is my favorite sub-part of Ramadan) is a sweet tisane infusion mixed with lots of sugar and powdered milk. Unfortunately, I was usually in such a rush to consume some sugar into my blood stream that the delectible taste of Kenkaliba was more often than not accompanied by a searing burn to the tongue. Ramadan is also good for learning patience.

Tonight marks the last day of Ramadan, and also the last time that you'll hear from me for about a week and a half or so. I will be traveling with the other students to Kedougou, on the other side the country. Twelve hours of bumpy bus ride, and another village stay to look forward to! Keep me in your prayers...

Alas, another last has come: the last minute in the internet cafe before it closes down for the night. Peace to all, and I'll reappear in the Blog world in November!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home